  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 20:12:40 +0100
Michal Hrusecky wrote:

Per Jessen - 21:40 8.11.13 wrote:
Claudio Freire wrote:

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 4:56 PM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
I disagree. The decision is a sign of consideration for the
openSUSE user. The people on this list have the necessary
information for evaluating the risk and avoiding any problems
like this, but can you say that for the average user? If you
really want to run Adobe Reader, install any suitable flavor of
Windows in a Virtual Machine, share your entire Linux disk with
that VM, and boot it when you need to process a PDF that okular
cannot handle.

Larry, that is just not a viable alternative for the average user
whom we should be catering. To anyone technically able, the lack
of acroread will only become a problem when it is no longer
available for
download or no longer runs on one's distro. I can work with that
for my purposes until open-source alternatives have (hopefully)
matured
sufficiently, but Joe Bloggs and his grandmum cannot. I am
repeating myself, but I remain puzzled by the lack of
consideration for the
openSUSE user, average or otherwise. I sincerely hope we/openSUSE
are not turning into an ivory tower.

It's not a lack of concern, it's a lack of power.

Adobe withdrew support. It's their software, their license.

Did they withdraw the license for us/openSUSE to ship it? If we are
prematurely withdrawing acroread from the distro, we are showing an
utter lack of concern for our users. I presume acroread already has
known security holes, but for those average users with a genuine
need, surely we should let them chose their poison rather than just
take it
away. Just like with cigarettes and alcohol, put a big label on
acroread saying "dangerous/poisonous/deprecated/unsupported". What's
wrong with that?

As repeated over and over again - unmaintained and with security holes
= doesn't belong to the distro. If you don't like it and would like to
have everything inside, make a proposal to change a policy to what you
think is a better one (the one that includes dangerous software).

See $SUBJ.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (4.1°C)