On Fri, Nov 08, 2013 at 10:01:18AM +0800, Marguerite Su wrote:
On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 7:01 AM, Joschi Brauchle <joschi.brauchle@xxxxxx>
wrote:
Hello,

I would also like to express my vote to keep Adobe Reader available in an
openSUSE customized version! Maybe not in NON-OSS repo, but possibly in
packman?

Hi, guys,

I would like to mention the basic design theory of Packman:

1. it's a separate project from openSUSE. eg, building packages for
openSUSE project doesn't mean they're the same.
2. it's an open source project. it aims to "workaround" for open
source multimedia projects that upstream warned about potential pa*ent
violations.

So a known commercial proprietary product isn't able to be in Packman,
esp. when it needs a new redistribution promission from Adobe. The
previous permission was issued to SUSE Linux and openSUSE. But not for
Packman. And Packman isn't able to accquire such permission, I think.
I don't know how exactly Packman is designed to be a firewall in law,
but it's common sense, if you're able to receive something from a
company, of course you're able to receive summon from a court too. So
I think maybe a non-existent-in-law project isn't an entity for just
deals. Meanwhile, as Adobe declared unmaintenance itself, of course it
will not issue such permissions after that.

License is not a big issue for Adobe Reader.

It requires a click-through shrinkwrap license. So having a license
confirmation dialog is sufficient.

No special contracts requried according to our understanding for Adobe
Reader.

Ciao, Marcus