On Thursday 07 November 2013, Ruediger Meier wrote:
On Thursday 07 November 2013, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On Thursday, 2013-11-07 at 11:44 -0200, Luiz Fernando Ranghetti
wrote:
Of course Carlos case is a valid case and indeed he needs
acroread, but is a corner case.

All utility here (electricity, gas, water, telephone, etc) send
their receipts via paper, but all of them push for the clients to
switch to "electronic receipts", which mean PDF, and usually those
PDFs are signed. Unless signed electronically they don't have legal
value; with the signature, they are valid.

Only acroread supports signature verification. I have tried the
same receipt on okular and evince, and they don't even say there is
a signature.

(interestingly, the receipt was generated not by adobe software,
but by 3-Heights(TM) PDF Producer)

The other feature is PDF XFA form filling. None of the available
open source programs fully support forms. You need acroread to at
least compare and see if the alternatives are good enough or not,
per case. These forms may contain javascript code.

Seriously, have you tried google-chrome's built-in pdf viewer yet?
This is one of the closed source parts of chrome and I could imagine
that it's less broken than okular, evince and friends. Moreover could
be that many pdf creaters have tested their pdfs with chrome because
it has so widely useed and the build-in viewer is enabled by default.

Now I see your other mail that you've tried it already.

However if you ever complain at your gas company you could say you have
tried google-chrome. That may sound more reasonable for them as xpdf or
evince :)

cu,
Rudi