  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 15:07:06 +0100
On Thu, 2013-11-07 at 14:31 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
I think we ought to keep acroread in the distro simply because it's
about usability. The current suggestions:

a) download it from adobe yourself
b) use something else

are not good enough. If (a) was a real solution, why are we building
building a distro at all. (b) is not a solution because there is no
100% replacement for acroread.

By removing acroread, we are sacrificing critical usability because of a
rule about unmaintained software. I suggest we reconsider and wait
until the alternatives have caught up. Once we have a mature
plug-compatible alternative, we can remove acroread.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (17.0°C)

I've used openSUSE as my main OS for many years now. Until this thread
about the removal of acroread, I didn't even know we had Acrobad Reader
available in the distribution

evince has proven more than satisfactory for all of the online/semi
online/offline PDF forms I've had to deal with, which coincidentally
been quite a few in the last weeks. Form filling, saving, printing, all
fine.
I've only ever come across *one* form that worked 'better' in acroread
than evince, and this was a cosmetic glitch with an informative banner
that did not need to be submitted or printed, not a functional problem.

So, for pure reasons of sanity, can we please stop spawning new threads
about acroread? If there is anything more to be discussed on the topic,
and I think that's questionable, then I would recommend the 'No more
acroread?' thread.