On Thursday 07 November 2013, Bernhard Voelker wrote:
On November 7, 2013 at 2:31 PM Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think we ought to keep acroread in the distro simply because it's
about usability.  The current suggestions:

Usability ... hmm, well, my first concern is security.
If someone trusts the unmaintained stuff, then he/she should install
it.

a) download it from adobe yourself
b) use something else

c) if someone is really interested, why doesn't he maintain his own
version in OBS?

I guess this is not possible because of the License. I had tried this
for flash plugin one time and got delete requests by self-proclaimed
OBS policemen.

BTW the reason why I had to build flash was similar. Security had
removed the 64bit version just because it was slightly older than the
32bit one. Then zypper patch tried to install the 32bit one and this
was a real mess of my 64bit-only installation.

are not good enough.  If (a) was a real solution, why are we
building building a distro at all.  (b) is not a solution because
there is no 100% replacement for acroread.

By removing acroread, we are sacrificing critical usability because
of a rule about unmaintained software.  I suggest we reconsider and
wait until the alternatives have caught up.  Once we have a mature
plug-compatible alternative, we can remove acroread.

Now, as there have been many complaints about okular and other
replacements here on this list: honestly, does anyone have opened a
bug for it? ... hmm, I guess no, and so will it be until users are
starting to use other things than acroread ... and they won't start
until that package is removed.

BTW: what are other distros doing?

cu,
Rudi