Re: [opensuse-factory] [opensuse-packaging] Re: Some Python questions (Was: Re: devel:language:python3)
On Tuesday 05 November 2013 19:06:13 Todd Rme wrote:
[snip]

I would like to to only reply to the questions below.

I think the real major questions are this:

1. When a user runs "python" in their shell, is this python-2.x or
python-3.x?
Currently thats python2.7, I voted for python3.x in 13.1 but there where valid
concerns so we left it that way for one more release. I am not sure if Python
module authors and users are actually aware of that

2. Does the package python-foo install the python-2.x version
or the python-3.x version? (for example, is "python-numpy" python 2 or
python 3?)

Simple, python-Foo will be py2, python3-foo will be py3k and python4-foo will
be py4k. Php guys decided to drop the major version again (after they had it)
and that did no good.

3. Do we have packages "foo" and "python3-foo" or "python2-foo" and
"foo? (for example, is "iPython" python 2 or python 3?)

Yeah, that's odd I know. Let's discuss the "bpython" case. Since it's an
application, the py2 version was named "bpython". However, there is now also a
py3 version. In order to not collide, it's named "python3-bpython". For most
of those cases we could argue that shipping either version (not both) should
be sufficent. For instance, it shouldn't matter much which Sphinx you are
using as long as it builds your docs. However, reality is usually more
complicated. You want both bpython versions because it's a REPL and you need
it to develop things, potentially against both python versions. You need both
Sphinx versions because you probably wouldn't want to "BuildRequire: python3-
Sphinx" in your crappy old Python2 software.

I think beyond that, everything is handled by zypper and
update-alternatives on the user end.

Exactly. Since most developers are neither aware nor care, this is the best we
can do.
--
With kind regards,
Sascha Peilicke