Re: [opensuse-factory] No more acroread?
Hello,

Am Dienstag, 5. November 2013 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
On Tuesday, 2013-11-05 at 19:20 -0200, Claudio Freire wrote:
Maybe. But PDFs with forms? They're an abomination. HTML is for
forms.

Huh, no way. PDFs, or some equivalent, are ideal for filling forms in
administrations.

The users can not modify the form, they can only fill the fields,
using no more than the given space. It is possible to add checking
code so that what they fill is correct.

As long as you talk only about average/non-technical users.

If someone wants to enter invalid data, there are always ways to do
this. For example, you can open the PDF in GIMP, fill in what you want
and print it.

Even if the form is submitted online, I'm quite sure there are ways to
send invalid data (maybe with a modified PDF, maybe without any PDF at
all).

It's the old story: client side validation is nice to have, but can be
tricked by an attacker (well, "tricked" can be easier than you might
think - if a HTML form is validated with javascript, just switch off
javascript ;-) - so in the end you can't trust client side validation
to only send valid data to the server.

Only server-side validation is guaranteed to really validate the data.

That all said - given the amount of mails we had about this topic, I
just filed bug 849112 to get a notice added to the release notes so that
we officially blame Adobe for this ;-) As a side effect, we'll
hopefully get less questions on the opensuse-$LANG mailinglists why
acroread is no longer included.

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
[~/.gtkrc] Brauche ich für Mozilla Firebird, sonst macht der
"Faustgroße Killerschriften greifen an!" in Formularen.