Re: [opensuse-factory] No more acroread? [WAS: Requesting people to test RC1 of RC2 or whatever]
On Tuesday 05 November 2013, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
On 11/05/2013 09:55 AM, Carlos E. R. pecked at the keyboard and wrote:

On 2013-11-05 15:52, Dominique Leuenberger a.k.a. Dimstar wrote:
Quoting Viljo Mustonen <>:
1. No Acro Reader.

That's a feature, thanks to Adobe: 202001 State:accepted
By:scarabeus_factory When:2013-10-03T12:38:53 delete:
openSUSE:Factory:NonFree/acroread Review by Group is new:
legal-auto Review by Group is new: factory-auto From:
review(msmeissn) Descr: now unmaintained by adobe. bnc#843835
Comment: Dropping as this broke factory-auto so it won't in fact
be ever reviewed by those.

Please, could you please explain what does this mean?

Simply means that the product is no longer maintained for linux and
is dropped. If you want acrobat reader you will need to download and
install it and maintain it yourself.

Hm, personally I don't use acroread. Nevertheless I think it shouldn't
have been removed because we know it's still needed for many cases.

Just add it again, don't install per default, warn the user that it's
broken and unmaintained. Maybe remove it from DVD but keep it in
non-oss repo.
For me it makes no sense to remove it completely just to tell everybody
that they should download the same manually...

BTW what about the update scenario? Will it be removed when upgrading to
13.1? I guess not - so the broken acroread issue is probably not fixed
on upgrade anyway. And if our acroread scruples would be really honest
then we would need to remove it from 12.x too via zypper patch.

cu,
Rudi