Re: [opensuse-factory] No more acroread? [WAS: Requesting people to test RC1 of RC2 or whatever]
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 21:48:42 +0100
On 2013-11-05 18:31, Lew Wolfgang wrote:
On 11/05/2013 08:38 AM, Jon Nelson wrote:
Unfortunately, I have yet to find*any* open source PDF reader that
works with some tax forms, whereas Adobe's reader works just fine.

I don't disagree with your observation Jon, but I wonder why
the open-source community has trouble with some PDF's. Handling
"forms" is one of the shortcomings for me. Another issue is
being able to digitally sign a PDF with a smart-card token that
is compatible with Adobe software on Windows.

Could it be that these, and other features, are patented or
copyrighted by Adobe?

Perhaps.
Or forms that include code.

However, if the filled form differs somehow of what acroread produces,
the recipient administration may reject the form. Most of them have not
ever heard of Linux, thus they see no difficulty on us using adobe.

What I would like to know is why adobe does this to us :-(

They are doing us a favor. In the short term there might be a period
where there is no good solution for some PDFs indeed. In the long
term however I am sure the lack of the proprietary fallback will
help the free PDF viewers and other PDF tools to catch up faster.
More users of the free viewers will draw more attention to them
which also means more developers.

cu
Ludwig

--