Re: [opensuse-factory] YaST Software Management exits after package installation
On 11/05/2013 03:37 PM, C wrote:
On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 7:36 AM, Thomas Leineweber wrote:
To be on topic again: I am against changing the default.
The _number_one_ question I'm asked by everyone... and I do mean
everyone that I help install openSUSE is "Why is the stupid software
installer always closing?" When I tell them why, and show them how to
fix it, they all comment on how dumb this default is for the average
user.... along with the question "How is ANYONE supposed to find that
option to set in the sysconfig?"

We've discussed this here in the past, and it always came down to a
small group of highly experienced users who like the backwards setting
as default, and a lot of inexperienced users who can't figure out why
the software installer is broken by default. The small group of
experienced users (the people who know how to set it to Exit) seem to
win out each time... when they are the very one who are knowledgeable
enough to know how to set YaST to behave in strange ways.

BTW, are you talking about all the Yast configuration modules or just Software Management? Because setting the sysconfig entry would only change Software Management, the rest of Yast always closes and will always close - that's, IMO, why Software Management does the same by default.

Changing all the Yast modules to read and use the sysconfig entry is no go as there's, in fact, nobody who would be able to change them. That's too much work. Additionally, right now, most of the Yast modules have either [OK] or even [Finish] button to save settings and CLOSE the module. There's usually no [Apply] button (except Storage?).

Having [OK] button to save and close a configuration dialog is similar to Windows - at least how I remember Windows :)

Please make clear what you want to achieve and why. As stated before: Yast should not set the default but the product itself, according to my running system /etc/sysconfig/yast2 is not owned by any package. At the end, some sane default has to be set globally and someone has to decide. This is openSUSE, so you might try voting, for instance. I will not tell you what is good and what is wrong, although I'm personally used to closing at the end, I don't even think about changing it.

And BTW2: I prefer using zypper :) in these days, it's faster.

--

Lukas Ocilka, Cloud & Systems Management Department
SUSE LINUX s.r.o., Praha