Re: [opensuse-factory] YaST Software Management exits after package installation
On 2013-11-05 15:50 (GMT+0100) Carlos E. R. composed:

C wrote:

We've discussed this here in the past, and it always came down to
a small group of highly experienced users who like the backwards
setting as default, and a lot of inexperienced users who can't
figure out why the software installer is broken by default. The
small group of experienced users (the people who know how to set it
to Exit) seem to win out each time... when they are the very one
who are knowledgeable enough to know how to set YaST to behave in
strange ways.

I'm experienced, I guess, and I certainly hate that default.

Maybe it's not so much about experience in general as it is about providing a patch that would change the default to something sane for most users?

This to me is a polish issue that makes the openSUSE management team look rather clueless. The main problem with the current default is that there is nothing to indicate what looks like a crash is actually success. Yum, URPMI and Zypper all finish by issuing a success statement. Why that doesn't YaST do something similarly sensible by default has to be one reason why some users who try openSUSE don't stick with it.

I wonder if whoever has been responsible for striking down every movement to change this is still around. Lots of personnel changes have been made in openSUSE in recent times. Maybe the time has come for someone to open a new bug with a patch attached.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/