Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Requesting people to test RC1 of RC2 or whatever
On 11/05/2013 09:54 AM, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
Am 04.11.2013 21:50, schrieb Larry Finger:
If people use NetworkManager, the new names are a problem in only one
case that I know about. If the wireless driver fails to register as a
wireless device, the new naming system knows they are network devices,
concludes that they are ethernet types, and gives them a name of en....
rather than wl... When this happens, NM will not connect to the device.

really? I don't think this is related to the name, the driver is
probably just broken? Or did it start to work once you fixed the udev
rule to name it "wlan0"?

When a new udev rule was added to name it wlanX, then it started to work.

I always since years have named my interfaces "cable" and "air" (in
order to find buggy software that relies on "ethX" or "wlanX") and have
not had a problem with networkmanager and such because of this.

I agree that the root cause is a buggy driver, but those won't be fixed by 13.1 release, which is why I brought up the point here.

Larry