Re: [opensuse-factory] YaST Software Management exits after package installation
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 15:37:30 +0100
On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 7:36 AM, Thomas Leineweber wrote:
Am 05.11.2013 06:25, schrieb Rajko:
On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 17:31:25 +0100

It's hard to satisfy everyone with the same default.

You are right on this one, but now that you said that, YaST is one
program that has no graphic setup. Editing /etc/sysconfig/yast2 in
Kate or Gedit does not count as graphic setup. :) (yast-devel)

why do you think there is no graphical setup? Did you ever try the
YaST module "/etc/sysconfig editor"? You can find and edit the setting
"PKMGR_ACTION_AT_EXIT" in "System > Yast2 > GUI".

Unfortunately, the /etc/sysconfig-Editor seems to be very slow at the
moment, but that is a completely different and unrelated problem.

To be on topic again: I am against changing the default.

The _number_one_ question I'm asked by everyone... and I do mean
everyone that I help install openSUSE is "Why is the stupid software
installer always closing?" When I tell them why, and show them how to
fix it, they all comment on how dumb this default is for the average
user.... along with the question "How is ANYONE supposed to find that
option to set in the sysconfig?"

We've discussed this here in the past, and it always came down to a
small group of highly experienced users who like the backwards setting
as default, and a lot of inexperienced users who can't figure out why
the software installer is broken by default. The small group of
experienced users (the people who know how to set it to Exit) seem to
win out each time... when they are the very one who are knowledgeable
enough to know how to set YaST to behave in strange ways.

C.
--
openSUSE 12.3 x86_64, KDE 4.11