Re: [opensuse-factory] journalctl very slow
On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 3:19 PM, Ruediger Meier <sweet_f_a@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Friday 01 November 2013, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
El 01/11/13 13:02, Ruediger Meier escribió:
The journal disk-usage is currently 1.3G, which is far to much.

Far too much..in what kind of system .. do you have harddisks from
the 90's ? in 2011, the average *consumer* hard drive was 590 GB..
increasing size at a rate of 39% per year.

How ignorant and blind are you ...

Journalctl showing the logs with 2K/s - that's 60's style

In 2013 systemd-journal (the default in most distros :) needs a week to
show such a 1.3G journal ... it can't even handle 90's file sizes but
you complain that users don't always want to keep their / small.

This is because journal is using memory-mapped access.

Memory-mapped access is terribly bad at predicting I/O patterns. This
may be a kernel issue more than a journal issue, but the journal can
help the kernel predict better.

I suggest monitorion I/O with iostat to see what the issue is. There
should be a lot of read-request-merges since watching a journal log
should be sequential access. If read-request-merges are low and avg
request sizes too, then it's probably fragmentation.

I'll be happy to provide a few patches for you to try trying to
address that, if you're willing to rebuild and test.