Re: [opensuse-factory] journalctl very slow
Am 02.11.2013 20:00, schrieb Greg KH:
On Sat, Nov 02, 2013 at 07:06:35PM +0100, Stefan Seyfried wrote:

If I were to guess, I'd vote it's just horribly fragmenting the files:
shake -vvv shows thousands of fragments, probably due to lots of holes
in the database files.

What filesystem are you using? What is the % used of that partition?

ext3 and ext4, between 50% to 90% full.

I did try this on rust, but not a really slow one, I'll dig up an old
disk and try that next time I can.

So, don't just wave it all away like this, it's a non-trivial problem
for a small number of systems that people are not ignoring...

The developers of core system software should be forced to use 10 year
old hardware to test their creation in daily use ;-)

Then nothing would ever get written because we would all be taking days
to build our kernels...

compiling is allowed on current hardware ;-)

And you wouldn't get new features for that new hardware (transactional
memory, huge memory sizes, large numbers of cpus, etc.) You can't have
it both ways, sorry.

If you want, just run 10 year old software on that hardware, it should
work just fine.

I'll probably just go for busybox-init/mdev instead of systemd/udev on
those machines -- boots exactly as fast but is much less demanding on
the hardware (and on admin-maintainance). And the feature set is good
enough.

My work machine has now gotten a SSD due to the "systemctl status
foo.service" taking ages (and "git status" in kernel trees, too)

For my wife's old machine, I recently bought an IDE-SSD to get it to
boot in an acceptabe time frame with current 13.1. That's of course not
only systemd's fault, the whole userspace stuff is getting much fatter
all the time.

Have fun,

seife
--
Stefan Seyfried
"If your lighter runs out of fluid or flint and stops making