Re: [opensuse-factory] journalctl very slow
On Sat, Nov 02, 2013 at 07:06:35PM +0100, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
Am 02.11.2013 17:03, schrieb Greg KH:

Including the fact that most of us who have looked at it, can't even
duplicate the issue at all (myself included.)

Just try to use it on old (slow) rotating rust.
100% reproducible on all my 2.5" IDE HDDs here.

If I were to guess, I'd vote it's just horribly fragmenting the files:
shake -vvv shows thousands of fragments, probably due to lots of holes
in the database files.

What filesystem are you using? What is the % used of that partition?

I did try this on rust, but not a really slow one, I'll dig up an old
disk and try that next time I can.

So, don't just wave it all away like this, it's a non-trivial problem
for a small number of systems that people are not ignoring...

The developers of core system software should be forced to use 10 year
old hardware to test their creation in daily use ;-)

Then nothing would ever get written because we would all be taking days
to build our kernels...

And you wouldn't get new features for that new hardware (transactional
memory, huge memory sizes, large numbers of cpus, etc.) You can't have
it both ways, sorry.

If you want, just run 10 year old software on that hardware, it should
work just fine.

greg k-h