Re: [opensuse-factory] journalctl very slow
On Saturday 02 November 2013, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
Am 02.11.2013 17:03, schrieb Greg KH:
Including the fact that most of us who have looked at it, can't
even duplicate the issue at all (myself included.)

Just try to use it on old (slow) rotating rust.
100% reproducible on all my 2.5" IDE HDDs here.

BTW my problem does not looked like HD speed issue. journalctl was
constantly on 100% CPU. So I assume that it couldn't handle more input
data in the same time (unless it's even more broken than thought).

If I were to guess, I'd vote it's just horribly fragmenting the
files: shake -vvv shows thousands of fragments, probably due to lots
of holes in the database files.

So, don't just wave it all away like this, it's a non-trivial
problem for a small number of systems that people are not
ignoring...

The developers of core system software should be forced to use 10
year old hardware to test their creation in daily use ;-)