Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: journalctl very slow

Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
В Fri, 01 Nov 2013 14:03:09 -0300
Cristian Rodríguez <crrodriguez@xxxxxxxxxxxx> пишет:

El 01/11/13 13:03, Archie Cobbs escribió:
On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Yamaban <foerster@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
But, yes, clear upstream trouble, that is: ignored by those in
charge,
sounds of '... rotating media are a dying type ...' where made,
when
asked on the topic during a Linux conf earlier this year.

Do not hope for a solution from the systemd / journald side,
install
a full 'traditional' syslog.

Maybe this should be the openSUSE default.

I for one am very bothered by the way systemd has made logging more
opaque and cumbersome. Logs are like bread and water to sysadmins.

If you install a traditional syslog implementation there will be no
difference..

Then it should be default setting in openSUSE until problem with
journald slowness is fixed, should not it?

also people keep repeating "opaqueness and
cumbersomeness"
but never care to elaborate exactly what they mean in a detailed form

and compared to what.

That said, embedded developers from Samsung and Intel do care about
this
slowness and are working on it (much better approach than whining and

complaining I must add)

The question was "why it became default when it had obvious problems";
do not pretend you do not see the difference. It is not about
development of code, it is about selecting distribution default
behavior.

Since it is relatively small, is there a way to page it into ram before
starting to parse it.

Ie. Add a patch to do a linear read of the entire fire before starting the
random I/O.

For systems with some spare ram that should drastically accelerate parsing the
file and for systems tight in ram it would not hurt much.

Greg