Re: [opensuse-factory] 13.1 - why network eth0 is named instead ens33?
On 09/28/2013 11:12 AM, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
El 28/09/13 12:13, Carlos E. R. escribió:

It's in order to ensure *predictable* NIC names across reboots.
My computers have been reliably using eth0 for decades.
argumentum ad antiquitatem that is called.

For instance, now a script that used eth0 would have to be edited for
each computer.
The script is well.. wrong..making asumptions about interface names.

How would one make reference to the third Ethernet interface in a
box that has five? You have to call it something, and changing the
name without good reason sounds like something for-profit operating
systems would do.

Or, are you saying that we should never need to refer to a network interface
by name? That referring to it by IP address should be enough? But what
about interfaces without IP addresses, such as /dev/rst0?

Wouldn't it be possible to make the "ethX" names predictable across
reboots? Or am I missing something?

Regards,
Lew