Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-kernel] BtrFS as default fs?
Hello Jan and all,

On 2013-09-06 T 18:35 +0200 Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On 2013-09-06 T 09:51 +0200 Dirk Müller wrote:

[...] what would be the personal reason for _me_ to
switch or for the intended target group of openSUSE
in general? [...] What are the alternatives to btrfs?
How does it meet the majority of requirements better
than the current default choice?

Besides Scalability there are other attributes where
btrfs exceeds other filesystems. See various comparison
tables out there, including the one in my blog from
three years ago (yes, it's a bit dated):
https://www.suse.com/communities/conversations/data-is-customers-gold/

Since somewhat-dated data seems to be popular, here is
another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FegjLbCnoBw

in this talk, David Chinner showed at LCA 2012 that
btrfs was rather non-scaling (for the features it shares
with existing filesystems, IOW, just vanilla storing).

I am afraid, we have a wording issue here:

When Dave says "Scalability" in that presentations, he
means "Performance" (see his slides).

When I say "Scalability" above, and use that word
comparing btrfs to the current openSUSE default, I am not
talking Performance, but talking about "Scalability" in
the sense of filesystem size, dealing with huge amounts of
(small) files, ...

Hope this explains the different view.

so long -
MgE