Re: [opensuse-factory] BtrFS as default fs?
On 9/5/13 5:42 AM, Stephan Kulow wrote:
On 04.09.2013 09:59, Stephan Kulow wrote:
On 03.09.2013 16:32, Jeff Mahoney wrote:
So, I'd like to propose that we use btrfs as the default file
system for the 13.1 release before we release the first beta.

Sorry, but if you read the roadmap more carefully, you see that
we're way past the time to change important details as that. For
convenience I include a pointer:
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Roadmap

You're free to offer your help to the marketing team to promote
btrfs as perfect choice for experienced users and we switch early
for 13.2. That's the best I'm willing to offer.

At the moment you can't even install factory with btfs as default
because of bugs as bnc#835695

Btrfs is really young ;(

Maybe you'd care to read the rest of the thread before commenting?

- Removal of the strange per-directory hard link limit
- Due to the backreferences to a single inode needing to fit in a
single file system block, there was a limit to the number of
hard links in a single directory. It could be quite low.
- Limit removed by adding a new extended inode ref item, not enabled
by default yet since it's a disk format change. Extended inode ref
only used when required since it's not as space-efficient as the
single node item. There's probably room for discussion within the
file system community on whether we'd want to add an "ok to change"
bit so that file systems have the ability to use the new extended
inode ref items when needed but doesn't set the incompat bit until
they're actually used. The other side of that coin is that it may
not be clear to users when/if their file system has become
incompatible with older kernels.

We've been discussing enabling this by default and I have a patch set
that will allow the installer to enable it dynamically on a mounted file
system.

-Jeff

--
Jeff Mahoney