Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: BtrFS as default fs?
On 9/3/13 2:22 PM, Roman Bysh wrote:
On 09/03/2013 12:26 PM, Yamaban wrote:
On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 16:32, Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@...> wrote:
[snip]
So, I'd like to propose that we use btrfs as the default file system
for the 13.1 release before we release the first beta.

To spare us all a rush of headaches, a couple of points to add:

- Be aware that not every bootloader does supports btrfs for /boot
(lilo, syslinux, ...)

- For the Yast installer: Select bootloader before partitioning /
root-fs selection, be prepared to 'propose' a extra /boot partition
for non-btrfs aware bootloaders.

Make sure that these points land in the printed manual, and the wiki.

- Yamaban.

Doesn't btrfs support booting the system without a /boot partition?

Yes, but his point was that while GRUB2 supports it (and GRUB1 with
patches, I forget if we're carrying those), other boot loaders may not
and YaST should be intelligent enough to know which ones don't. That's
where the separate /boot comes in.

-Jeff

--
Jeff Mahoney