Re: [opensuse-factory] BtrFS as default fs?
On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 10:44:14AM -0400, Jeff Mahoney wrote:
On 9/3/13 10:41 AM, Frederic Crozat wrote:
Le mardi 03 septembre 2013 à 10:32 -0400, Jeff Mahoney a écrit :

That proposal was pretty well received except, predictably, by those
using the features listed. In practice, all that's required for those
users to continue uninterrupted is to add the 'allow_unsupported=1'
option to the btrfs module either on the kernel command line or
/etc/modprobe.d. There is nothing inherently limiting to any openSUSE
user with this practice. The features are all still in the code and
available immediately just by setting a flag. It can even be done safely
after module load or even after file systems that don't use the
unsupported features have been mounted. I intend to introduce this
functionality into openSUSE soon.

My main worry with your proposal is the upgrade path, since I would
expect some people having enabled some options (compression, autodefrag)
on install and forgetting to disable it (or to set the allow_unsupported
flag) when doing a "zypper dup" upgrade, ending up with a unbootable
system.. (After all, I was using compression until you said it was
unstable ;)

Of course. We definitely don't want to break existing users.

Maybe some "trigger" trick should be added when upgrading to the "kernel
with unsupported flag", creating a drop-in file in /etc/modprobe.d when
unsupported flags are detected in /etc/fstab and displaying a warning
(and a link to a webpage giving hints on how to revert to a supported
configuration).

Yeah, this is definitely doable. Can we get the YaST team on board with
adding that notification and support?

YaST doesn't run when using "zupper dup". The right place for
such functionality is a RPM script from my POV.

Regards,
Arvin