[opensuse-factory] Re: why are raw scripts forced into /bin/sh instead of user's shell (a Suse patch to bash)
Anders Johansson wrote:
On Friday 01 March 2013 13:58:11 Linda Walsh wrote:
None of this solves the current problem of not executing the
scripts under the user's shell.

Really Linda, unless you have a #! line in your script specifying which shell
you want/need for it, you are relying on some undocumented effect that just
happened to work in the past. This is not a good way of maintaining a system.
----
I think I said that anytime I save a script to my bin directory,
I add such a line. I recommended doing that in the bug report above if you
bothered to look.

My usage was interactive temp script development -- I would expect
it to use my current shell like most systems.

Even WINDOWS looks at it's COMSPEC and honors it -- and will launch
the correct shell -- That SuSE has 5+ year old patches that don't apply to
products in it's releases -- and that suse is the only distro with some of
it's reported problems that created the need for the patches is likely due to
patches from 5 years before that that are still in the code -- i.e. 10 year
old patches still left in the code that no longer apply.

Stop trying to blame the user for bad SW development practices.
The patch says it is for 3.2 -- it should have been retired after that.
The current product is 4.2 and it is no longer applicable.