Re: [opensuse-factory] glibc update w/ arch change i586->i686? (Tumbleweed)
On 12/13/2012 07:54 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
I'm running Tumbleweed, but this update really comes from 12.2.

Yesterday zypper offered to update glibc with an architecture change
from i586->i686. After that update, no locale definitions were present
except for the builtin C/POSIX. I've manually reverted to i586 and that
cleared up the problem (like the missing /usr/lib/locale directory).

Of course if I attempt another dup, I'll get the same offer again:

The following packages are going to change architecture:
glibc i586 -> i686
glibc-debuginfo i586 -> i686
glibc-devel i586 -> i686
glibc-extra i586 -> i686
glibc-locale i586 -> i686
glibc-locale-debuginfo i586 -> i686

6 packages will change arch.
Overall download size: 9.9 MiB. After the operation, 91.8 MiB will be freed.

Note the part about the 91.8 MiB that will be freed after the update --
most likely the locale data, but I can't find another (noarch?) package
that looks like it would have it. The architecture change itself
doesn't seem to be a problem or the system wouldn't be booting, so is
there something else missing or must be re-installed? Zypper verify
comes back empty.

Something seems to have changed in our config. The glibc spec file has this comment:
# For i686 we ship only glibc and glibc-devel, so
# let's not build everything
%define build_profile 0
%define build_locales 0
%define build_html 0

So, the i686 glibc-locale should not be shipped at all but apparently it is. Coolo, something has changed here, what do you advise to do?

Andreas