Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-packaging] Packaging Guideline enforcement
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 13:54:46 +0200, Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:

In same cases it's just a version bump since all packages of a collection
get updated, so say "version bump, no changes.". But if there are
changes, highlight the one or two major ones. I'm sure there's an
announcement out there that says something...

And that's where you're wrong! OFED consists of a large number of
packages, each having it's own source code repository as you can see
here: https://www.openfabrics.org/downloads/MAINTAINERS . From the
updates I've done it seems that there is no real system in the
versioning. Some packages had changes in the code but no changes in
the version number, others have changed versions and no code changes.
Some packages have at least a ChangeLog, others have no Info
what-so-ever.

The last update I made for sle11 sp2 had a library bump it's version
number but no changes in the package name ...

As you can imagine, doing updates is anything but fun as you have to
do tedious detective work to try and find if changes where done and if
yes, what changed.

# PATCH-FEATURE-OPENSUSE -- use separate symbol version for Owl
extensions - lnussel@xxxxxxx

You could generate the patch tag from the data in the patch but not
the other way round. Our kernel maintainers have a hard requirement
for commented patches, why can't we have that for the rest of the
distribution?

Philipp