Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Packaging Guideline enforcement
  • From: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 15:30:12 -0300
On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Jiri Slaby <jslaby@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I do. I read them usually *after* I install updates, only because
I have no easy way to read them before.

Debian lets you read the changelog *before*, and almost everybody
I know that uses debian reads it.

You all do not run unstable, right? And you do not maintain multiple
servers with distinct OSs, do you?

I have debian unstable on my own work computer (and, granted, I rarely
read changelogs in debian unstable).

I have a few servers with debian stable, and I do read changelogs
there. There's also some RHEL and CentOS - whenever possible, I don't
manage them, but those that do do read changelogs (the hard way,
because those have the same problem as openSUSE).

I have openSUSE at home, and I read changelogs there. I have a few
community repos on, and I do read changelogs when they have updates.

Released versions of openSUSE tend to receive updates through patches,
which already provides a description of the changes, and it even
classifies them as recommended, security and whatnot. That's very
useful, and is absent on community repos (which usually don't generate
patches). There, the only thing left are the changelogs.

Especially for mesa, which is quite critical. I have to go to OBS and
check the changelog there so that I may know what changed before
installing.

And no, I'm a debian user, run debian on several servers and
definitely do not have time to read changelogs, no.

So you install updates blindly? I'm glad you trust debian that much.
It's not our case, and it's not the case of many people I know.
So the use case exists and isn't trivial, nor a niche.

Everybody I know that uses debian is tech savvy, so it's a biased
sample, but it's still an important sample if you ask me.

Ok, let me ask again. What actually it gives you?

Note that I'm not against *removing* changelogs. I only think that
maintaining .changes files is tedious and does not really work.

It lets me gauge whether an update is necessary, worth the risk, or
not. Updating stuff is always a risk.
Minimal on stable repos, considerable on community repos. Having the
changelog available lets you decide better.