Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Packaging Guideline enforcement
On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Jiri Slaby <jslaby@xxxxxxx> wrote:
OBS-web recently took out the text box that allowed you to comment
on web-based edits, so you have lots of empty comments when changes
are made through the web-ui. That kills your idea pretty much, but
even if that text box was reinstated (which I'd recommend), it
still has many drawbacks. For one, it depends on user discipline,

Well, if somebody commits via web-ui, I doubt they change the .changes
file. The discipline is needed in both separate-.changes and osc-log
cases at the very same level.

There is a very neat button when editing .changes files in the web-ui,
that says "add changelog template".
It makes editing .changes with web-ui as easy as "osc vc". I use it
when I'm "osc"ing in debian, since debian's osc doesn't support the
"vc" thing. It beats "echo date -U blabla" >> blah.changes every time
;-)

for two, once you make a mistake on the VCS log, you can't undo it.
Mistakes happen, so that's not really good.

Mistakes happen, even in the kernel log where we cannot undo them.
This is the case in any vcs maintained project. And we live with that,
your argument looks to be odd in this case.

Interesting. And how do you handle that? How do you fix the changelog
in those cases?