Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Packaging Guideline enforcement

On 08/31/2012 04:09 PM, Claudio Freire wrote:
On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Jiri Slaby <jslaby@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
Oh god, that's like saying you want to generate the NEWS file
from the git commit log.

I meant nothing less than: rpm -q --changelog kernel-desktop

That kind of thing only makes sense. This is actually a
changelog.

That's not really true.

That only makes sense when the git/svn/vcs log indeed contains
descriptive entries.

OBS-web recently took out the text box that allowed you to comment
on web-based edits, so you have lots of empty comments when changes
are made through the web-ui. That kills your idea pretty much, but
even if that text box was reinstated (which I'd recommend), it
still has many drawbacks. For one, it depends on user discipline,

Well, if somebody commits via web-ui, I doubt they change the .changes
file. The discipline is needed in both separate-.changes and osc-log
cases at the very same level.

for two, once you make a mistake on the VCS log, you can't undo it.
Mistakes happen, so that's not really good.

Mistakes happen, even in the kernel log where we cannot undo them.
This is the case in any vcs maintained project. And we live with that,
your argument looks to be odd in this case.

On the other hand, OBS vcs changelogs also contain SR descriptions
when SRs are accepted. That would in fact make for a good
changelog.

Yes, one more supporting argument.

regards,
- --