Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Infinality Fonts
On 08/31/2012 12:03 AM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
At least for wqy-microhei you are wrong: This font doesn't contain any
hints for CJK characters.

holy crap...seems they cheat on their website...their website said
"hinting information builtin" in Chinese. OMG they're the only Chinese
open source font project...but they cheat?

the "hinting information" in our webpage was referred to
the hinting for Latin/extended Latin glyphs, not CJK. We
mentioned it because Droid Sans Fallback, from which
our CJK glyphs were derived, does not even have
hinting for Latin glyphs.

As far as I know, there is no open source Chinese font
that contains hinting for Hanzi/Kanji/Hanja. Even in
the commercial fonts, CJK glyph hinting is very rare.
In fact, the only one that I know, Microsoft Yahei, costs
about $100 per glyph. I personally do not like it much
as the strokes look distorted. If one like sharp rendering,
he/she should try WQY Zen Hei Sharp. It has hand-made
embedded bitmaps at all screen sizes.

Qianqian

I extend that cc list to its founder...
[I've fixed his e-mail address in the CC list :-)]

I've just had a deeper look, and indeed: wqy-microhei 0.2.0 beta
doesn't contain any hints for CJK glyphs.

Werner

dispose of the e-mail.