Re: [opensuse-factory] [Canon] cups unconfigurable in 12.2
On 2012/08/30 05:57 (GMT-0400) Johannes Meixner composed:

If "error,9" means errno = 9 it would be EBADF "Bad file number"
according to /usr/include/asm-generic/errno-base.h
EBADF 9 /* Bad file number */
but I have no idea what the actual root cause is here.

pstoufr2cpca is not provided by an openSUSE package.

I assume pstoufr2cpca is provided by Canon's driver software.
If my assumtion is right, it is likely Canon's driver software
that fails here and then you should contact Canon to provide
driver software that works.

Addendum:

When I see how much time you already spent with your printer
during the past with your various trouble reports on various
free software forums where unfortunately nobody could help,
it looks as if this piece of hardware has become somewhat
hopeless to be used with nowadays Linux printing systems.

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Purchasing_a_Printer_and_Compatibility
The most important precondition for smooth printer operation
is to use a suitable printer.
... problems caused by an unsuitable printer can usually not be
eliminated by modifying the configuration of the print server.

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printer_buying_guide
Printers that support a standard printer language (preferably
PostScript level 3) cost more money. But you don't have so much
trouble in getting fine printouts from those printers, as you
might have with others.

If you buy a printer, you should also calculate ...
what any trouble until you get your printer to work may cost you.
If you sum up this costs, a printer that supports a standard
printer language (preferably PostScript level 3) gets suddenly
comparable with other models.
Of course "the more expensive the better" is not right
in any case. It depends on the particular use-case.
But usually you get what you pay for.

It would have been wonderful if I had actually seen all that before going printer shopping, but what happened was:

1-the HP LaserJet that had had good Linux compatibility had died again, with no hope to again revive it, and I was in need of both printing and copying

2-the LaserJet was a good fit for my limited space, so what I needed was a new device with a similarly suitable size, shape, refill access, paper tray access, and output trajectory

3-I went shopping locally, unprepared

4-the Canon MF4370dn was an excellent fit for the limited available space

5-the Canon MF4370dn box listed Linux as a supported OS (This was a lie WRT North American purchasers/users until early 2010)

6-the Canon MF4370dn included ethernet input method, which the LaserJet had and I needed

7-the MSRP seemed high enough to consider the Canon MF4370dn to not be a junk printer

Suffice to say I'm unlikely ever to buy anything made by Canon again, or recommend Canon to anyone. But, I have what I have, and have yet to see on any store shelf any other MF printer model with both suitable physical characteristics and acceptable feature set. It would be really nice if whatever changed in CUPS that broke the proprietary Canon driver post-11.2 was reverted. It's a shame CUPS needs be so complicated that a big international company like Canon seems unable to produce a printer driver compatible with it.

Complaining to Canon so far has proved futile. NAICT, new UFR2 driver rpms from Canon do no more than include new models. This rpm grows substantially with each release. Its cups-common rpm was growing until around the time of 11.3 release, when it dropped in size by about 26%. It has since changed in size very very little.

I avoided need to print for many years, but eventually found need to print and to copy without leaving the building compelling. I still do pretty good at avoiding need to print, but doing so entirely is impossible. So, I print what I can by limiting to printing pure plain text, and what I can't, I boot an extra PC to Windows just to print, then shut it back down.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/