Re: [opensuse-factory] [Canon] cups unconfigurable in 12.2

Hello,

On Aug 29 23:00 Felix Miata wrote (excerpt):
As root on first in YaST2, I get the printer apparently setup, but nothing happens trying to test print besides what shows up in the cups logs attached, apparently from the sample.drv.

You can ignore messages about sample.drv - those are unrelated.

You got:
E [29/Aug/2012:21:44:44 -0400] [Job 1] pstoufr2cpca write error,9.

If "error,9" means errno = 9 it would be EBADF "Bad file number"
according to /usr/include/asm-generic/errno-base.h
EBADF 9 /* Bad file number */
but I have no idea what the actual root cause is here.

pstoufr2cpca is not provided by an openSUSE package.

I assume pstoufr2cpca is provided by Canon's driver software.
If my assumtion is right, it is likely Canon's driver software
that fails here and then you should contact Canon to provide
driver software that works.

Addendum:

When I see how much time you already spent with your printer
during the past with your various trouble reports on various
free software forums where unfortunately nobody could help,
it looks as if this piece of hardware has become somewhat
hopeless to be used with nowadays Linux printing systems.

You may have a look at:

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Purchasing_a_Printer_and_Compatibility
The most important precondition for smooth printer operation
is to use a suitable printer.
... problems caused by an unsuitable printer can usually not be
eliminated by modifying the configuration of the print server. ----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printer_buying_guide
Printers that support a standard printer language (preferably
PostScript level 3) cost more money. But you don't have so much
trouble in getting fine printouts from those printers, as you
might have with others.

If you buy a printer, you should also calculate ...
what any trouble until you get your printer to work may cost you.
If you sum up this costs, a printer that supports a standard
printer language (preferably PostScript level 3) gets suddenly
comparable with other models.
Of course "the more expensive the better" is not right
in any case. It depends on the particular use-case.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner