Re: [opensuse-kernel] Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed kernel changes to help upstream development

On 8/29/12 1:58 PM, Greg KH wrote:
On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 05:04:23PM +0200, Lars Marowsky-Bree
wrote:
On 2012-08-28T06:46:46, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 08:55:56AM +0200, Mike Galbraith
wrote:
In practice, rc5 vs .0 probably won't make much difference at
all, but more users will be bitten, else the move was a
failure. So this move explicitly plans on users being
bitten, detracting from Tumbleweed's rolling ~stable allure,
_evading_ developmental regression detection and reporting
duties being a major attractor to running rolling ~stable
;-)

That's a really good point. I guess I'm abusing my role here
as both a kernel developer who wants to see stable kernels
released by the community, and as the Tumbleweed maintainer,
sorry about that.

I'm all for helping kernel.org developers out, but at the
expense of people who are counting on Tumbleweed to not mess
their systems up, I probably shouldn't do that, as you and Lars
and others point out.

What I'd suggest is some awareness campaign. With zypper, having
Kernel:HEAD as a repository too is trivial, as is installing
both kernels.

"Want to help out? Boot into the kernel:head kernel and let us
know how that goes."

Systems that don't want to update but rather stick to the latest
stable kernel - that is, my laptop ;-) - won't, but test
environments might.

Maybe just have a Tumbleweed:Kernel repo that people can add to
get this newer kernel if they want to be on even more of a
bleading edge, that would like to the proper Kernel:HEAD
release at the -rc5 time period. Perhaps that might balance the
needs of users better?

Right, though I am not sure this is all that different from
adding Kernel:HEAD as it is?

Kernel:HEAD gets -rc1 updates from what I remember (note, this
could be wrong), so yes, it is almost like that.

- -rc2 but I mentioned in another reply I'd have no problem pushing it
at -rc1 instead if there's interest. I usually use -rc2 because there
is a lot of stabilization that happens between the two.

- -Jeff

And, as you point out, it's so close, that it probably doesn't help
out much by me doing the extra work to wait until -rc5 to add the
package to a different repo.

So, I think I'm going to back down from this proposal, and just
leave things as they are. Jos and you and others rightly point out
that Tumbleweed is supposed to be "stable", and by doing kernel
updates at -rc5, just to get kernel testers to find problems, kind
of goes against that original goal.

So, thanks to all for the feedback, and for the sanity check, I'll
just leave things as-is and not change the way the kernel is being
updated.

thanks,

greg k-h

- --