Re: [opensuse-kernel] Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed kernel changes to help upstream development
On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 05:04:23PM +0200, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
On 2012-08-28T06:46:46, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 08:55:56AM +0200, Mike Galbraith wrote:
In practice, rc5 vs .0 probably won't make much difference at all, but
more users will be bitten, else the move was a failure. So this move
explicitly plans on users being bitten, detracting from Tumbleweed's
rolling ~stable allure, _evading_ developmental regression detection and
reporting duties being a major attractor to running rolling ~stable ;-)

That's a really good point. I guess I'm abusing my role here as both a
kernel developer who wants to see stable kernels released by the
community, and as the Tumbleweed maintainer, sorry about that.

I'm all for helping kernel.org developers out, but at the expense of
people who are counting on Tumbleweed to not mess their systems up, I
probably shouldn't do that, as you and Lars and others point out.

What I'd suggest is some awareness campaign. With zypper, having
Kernel:HEAD as a repository too is trivial, as is installing both
kernels.

"Want to help out? Boot into the kernel:head kernel and let us know how
that goes."

Systems that don't want to update but rather stick to the latest stable
kernel - that is, my laptop ;-) - won't, but test environments might.

Maybe just have a Tumbleweed:Kernel repo that people can add to get this
newer kernel if they want to be on even more of a bleading edge, that
would like to the proper Kernel:HEAD release at the -rc5 time period.
Perhaps that might balance the needs of users better?

Right, though I am not sure this is all that different from adding
Kernel:HEAD as it is?

Kernel:HEAD gets -rc1 updates from what I remember (note, this could be
wrong), so yes, it is almost like that.

And, as you point out, it's so close, that it probably doesn't help out
much by me doing the extra work to wait until -rc5 to add the package to
a different repo.

So, I think I'm going to back down from this proposal, and just leave
things as they are. Jos and you and others rightly point out that
Tumbleweed is supposed to be "stable", and by doing kernel updates at
-rc5, just to get kernel testers to find problems, kind of goes against
that original goal.

So, thanks to all for the feedback, and for the sanity check, I'll just
leave things as-is and not change the way the kernel is being updated.

thanks,

greg k-h