Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed kernel changes to help upstream development
  • From: Rajko <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 09:29:55 -0500
On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 22:05:23 -0700
Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So, for the next kernel release, I'm thinking of switching the kernel
in Tumbleweed over to 3.6 at the -rc5 timeframe. Does anyone strongly
object to this happening?

Any testing is as hard as the way out of trouble if something goes
wrong.

I see the point in having latest stable software on top of latest
kernel as test bed and I can understand other people reluctance to
expose their working machines to _unknown_ dangers.

I was using Kernel:HEAD/KOTD for a whole year without problems that are
worth to remember, so I don't think that testing RC kernels will bring
noticeable increase in problems, comparing to chance of breakage in a
whole stack of other software included in Tumbleweed.

Additional repo as part of a solution is fine as it provides opt in
way, but having setup and tool(s) that will simplify user interaction
with test kernel can bring you more testers then separation of repos.

For instance:
* spare kernel that was working and that is still there when new one
needs fallback.
* change logs viewer, to see what is coming per user selected criteria;
whole change log is too big to check every time on update.
* easier bug reporting that enables half educated users to report bugs
after falling back to working kernel.

--
Regards, Rajko