Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Tumbleweed kernel changes to help upstream development
* Achim Gratz <Stromeko@xxxxxxxx> [08-28-12 13:33]:
Greg KH writes:
So, the kernel developers would like to get a wider range of testing,
and one thing proposed would be to have rolling distros switch their
kernel over a bit earlier to the new release than they had been doing.
Specifically, around the -rc5 point in time would be great. That way,
any reported regressions could be fixed sooner and get into the final .0
release for everyone to use.

While I understand the idea, I am one of those Tumbleweed users that do
not have a dedicated test machine or even test partition so I'd really
have to think about sticking with Tumbleweed if this became the new
policy. I usually have the three latest kernels installed, so I can go
back if one of the updates makes problems, but there are times where I
wouldn't want to bear this added risk. Besides, the way Tumbleweed was
advertised in the past does not really fit to what it would become with
that change. I'd suggest putting the not-quite released kernel stuff
into a different or add-on repo so that everyone can opt in or out by
activating the correct repo.

this appears a *reasonable* approach, with wide publication