Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed kernel changes to help upstream development
On Tue, 2012-08-28 at 10:41 -0300, Claudio Freire wrote:
On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 5:19 AM, Lars Müller <lmuelle@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
No objection but a hint from the RPM packaging side we can share from
our Samba packaging service. We provide alpha, beta, and RC version
there¹ too. And this causes trouble to RPM as 3.6.0-rc5 is always
larger than the final 3.6.0 from the alphanum comparison.

This is a limitation of RPM. Some might suggest to use the epoch
feature but even that would not help at the long run.²

I've been tagging my packages (which also do beta and rc releases) as
"final" (when the final release happens).

3.6.0-final would be larger than 3.6.0-rcn

That's actually not true: 3.6.0-rcX > 3.6.0-final (simply because r > f)
zypper vcmp 3.6.0-final 3.6.0-rc1
3.6.0-final is older than 3.6.0-rc1

so is 3.6.0final or 3.6.0.

The 'best' choice you can normally come up with will be along the lines
of 3.4.99 or, as you will often also see, 3.4.99_3.5.0-rc1 (so 3.4.99
becomes the comparable version for rpm, and 3.5.0 at release time will
always be 'larger').

RPM versioning can be confusing... zypper helps you in understanding
it :)

Dominique