Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed kernel changes to help upstream development
On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 05:18:27 PM Jos Poortvliet wrote:
Actually, I'd personally prefer to move to a new kernel in the .1 times
instead - have Tumbleweed MORE stable instead of less.

Rationale:
IF we take Tumbleweed as a prominent way for people to get newer oS
software between releases (especially important if we lengthen the release
cycle, which is at least on the agenda), Tumbleweed should become MORE, not
less stable.

Factory would be where RC's of kernels get tested, and so would a possible
tumbleweed-testing repository. For me as end user, I don't use Tumbleweed
for testing (that's what Factory is for, imho) but to have newer software
without waiting 8 months. Making it less stable would make me leave
Tumbleweed and run the latest openSUSE with a large number of OBS repo's
again (as I did before Tumbleweed).

But this choice comes down to a philosophical question: what's tumbleweed
for? Is it (as we currently advertise) a STABLE rolling release of
openSUSE or is it a testing ground for new software?

My choice would be obvious from what I wrote.

Note that imho the choice of what Tumbleweed is for lies with the
Tumbleweed maintainer - that's you. But I'd highly recommend changing our
promotion of Tumbleweed if you do this (and similar steps in the direction
of a more Factory-like Tumbleweed): it should no longer be promoted to our
average user.

And, if this is done, I'd advocate for either shortening or at least NOT
lengthening our release schedule, OR creating a new, STABLE tumbleweed
branch which IS meant for end users.

/Jos

WOW Jos, I could not agree with you more! Very well said! I have already had
Kernel updates on Tumbleweed keep my system from booting and then I either
lock the kernel package and keep the old one or just change grub to boot from
a kernel that worked... I would prefer not to have to do this more because of
RC kernels. As you pointed out Factory is where testing of new kernels and
such should be done. I would LOVE for a more stable Tumbleweed, but really,
please lets not make it less stable.

Thanks,

--
Drew Adams