Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed kernel changes to help upstream development

On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 06:46:46 AM Greg KH wrote:
On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 08:55:56AM +0200, Mike Galbraith wrote:
In practice, rc5 vs .0 probably won't make much difference at all, but
more users will be bitten, else the move was a failure. So this move
explicitly plans on users being bitten, detracting from Tumbleweed's
rolling ~stable allure, _evading_ developmental regression detection and
reporting duties being a major attractor to running rolling ~stable ;-)

That's a really good point. I guess I'm abusing my role here as both a
kernel developer who wants to see stable kernels released by the
community, and as the Tumbleweed maintainer, sorry about that.

I'm all for helping kernel.org developers out, but at the expense of
people who are counting on Tumbleweed to not mess their systems up, I
probably shouldn't do that, as you and Lars and others point out.

Let me talk to James Bottomley about this a bit more, he's the one that
proposed doing this yesterday in the meeting, as well as talking with
David from Fedora, and see if there's some other way we can come up with
that can help out.

Maybe just have a Tumbleweed:Kernel repo that people can add to get this
newer kernel if they want to be on even more of a bleading edge, that
would like to the proper Kernel:HEAD release at the -rc5 time period.
Perhaps that might balance the needs of users better?

greg k-h

I would really prefer that Tumbleweed wasn't made more unstable by forcing
people who want a stable-ish, up-to-date system to be the testers for the RC
kernel releases. I would rather you have a different RC kernel repo so I can
opt into it on a system that I don't rely on to get work done. I think that,
that would be best. If there is a repo for that I will run it on some of my
other systems but not on my Tumbleweed laptop that I use for work.

Drew Adams
openSUSE Member & Ambassador,
openSUSE Project