Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Help Apper to survive (12.2)
Am Freitag, 24. August 2012, 02:32:54 schrieb Joachim Schrod:
Do you even *know* what a novice is?
Do you really believe everybody is born with the same amount of
knowledge about openSUSE than you?

I smell polemics.

You tell me it's not appers fault. OK. I recognize it's not the
user's fault which you doesn't seem to do. So, it's openSUSE's
fault in putting the parts in this distribution as it is. And
that's what Carlos et.al. is trying to tell you. And you don't even
listen for a second. Shame on you.

You rather seem to miss the point and ignore most of what they wrote. What you
are talking about, and you would know if you had read the thread open minded,
is to change defaults. Nobody ever stated that this was impossible or bad,
just that it will cause the other half of users to complain. I even suggested
a way to get around that by introducing a GUI switch. Carlos et al were
bashing apper because its alleged /buggyness/ would mess-up systems etc., i.e.
it not working as it is told by the configs, ignoring vendor stickyness etc.

Too bad you missed that part. But very convenient indeed if one is into one
sidedness!

Do you ever take into account that there are newbies that don't act
in the same
»sven-knows-it-all-and-there's-no-other-view-on-the-world« way than
you do? And that we shouldn't let them suffer for it? Well, doesn't
seem so.

You are hopeless.

Or just sticking to the topic and not mixing things up. And of course it was
me who decided to set the defaults as they are and thus let the users
"suffer". How narrow minded does one have to be to twist the facts in this
thread as you do?

PS: I don't care at all if apper or other GUI updater notification
stuff works or not. I don't use them and I don't need them. But I
care about folks dissing community members who are on the front
line and put lots of effort in helping novice users, while this guy
does nothing constructively on this front.

You should not judge others by your own standards. It's always quite
embarrassing if it turns out wrong. And no, I'm not into a competition to
search and count how many times person x vs person y has helped others. So if
you are keen on those stats, you will have to get them yourself go through all
the mailinglists, irc channels etc. But who needs facts if polemics are that
much easier to get into.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of some opinion, it's useless anyway if
people start off with bashing, presenting their opinion as facts, instead of
asking for information to make sure they are right. But I do get fed-up with
people spreading FUD.

Sven