[opensuse-factory] Re: Help Apper to survive (12.2)
  • From: Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 02:32:54 +0200
Sven Burmeister wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 23. August 2012, 11:06:46 schrieb DenverD:
On 08/23/2012 02:09 AM, Rajko wrote:
There is no much chance to wreck the system with current version of
Apper, so it would be interesting to know how that happened and what
frontend was involved.

the 'current' version of apper that a new user would install is the one
in the most current released version of openSUSE..

Nope, the one for 12.1 as well, as the bug report I posted would have told
you
if you had read it. Not sure whether 11.4 even had apper.

and i just now see the second post from a person naming apper as the
update source which 'wrecked' his day:

Nice example. The user added non-default repos. Not apper's fault. The user
enabled automatic updates. Not default, not apper's fault.

Do you even *know* what a novice is?
Do you really believe everybody is born with the same amount of
knowledge about openSUSE than you?

Users don't know the difference between default and non-default
repos. Not user's fault.
User enable automatic updates because it's the sane thing to do in
their experience for every computer thing out there, from Windows,
over Firefox and Chrome, to iOS, to Android. It's the sane default
in our world. And you challenge that behavior and liken it to being
idiotic. Well, in my world, it's not the user's fault.

You tell me it's not appers fault. OK. I recognize it's not the
user's fault which you doesn't seem to do. So, it's openSUSE's
fault in putting the parts in this distribution as it is. And
that's what Carlos et.al. is trying to tell you. And you don't even
listen for a second. Shame on you.

Do you ever take into account that there are newbies that don't act
in the same
»sven-knows-it-all-and-there's-no-other-view-on-the-world« way than
you do? And that we shouldn't let them suffer for it? Well, doesn't
seem so.

You are hopeless.

*PLONK*

Joachim

PS: I don't care at all if apper or other GUI updater notification
stuff works or not. I don't use them and I don't need them. But I
care about folks dissing community members who are on the front
line and put lots of effort in helping novice users, while this guy
does nothing constructively on this front.