Re: [opensuse-factory] Help Apper to survive (12.2)
On 08/22/2012 08:26 AM, Vincent Untz wrote:

Does this help a bit?

it helps _me_ understand the _system_ better...and, i thank you for
presenting it in a way i can understand..

i am trying to understand the developers views here so i can
bridge/translate it into something usable to help a person who last week got fed up with some other operating system (both proprietary and
open)....and after a few days of shocking bliss and amazement on how
really stunning openSUSE is, they can no longer boot (or worse)...and,
they boot to windows to write for help..

however good your overview is in helping me understand the
beginning-to-end-system, it doesn't really help me answer the new user
questions [usually after hours to days of Q&As to get them booting
again] on why does openSUSE include known buggy package management bits
in their 'stable' release...

i guess i could now write: the part of the package management system in
KDE/Gnome/XFCE which allows it to mesh with openSUSE's native package
system is the "zypp backend", but "there is no one actively working on
this backend, and the current code is suboptimal/buggy in various
places, it seems. But bug fixes are going in every now and then. I've
seen in a bug comment that a rewrite is planned."

but, then that really does not answer the "Why include it while still
broken?" question.

or maybe i missed a better answer? (Wait for 12.3.--is not an option to
someone who just trashed their system without really trying)..

and it still leaves 'best' recommendation while waiting for the zypp
backend to be fixed as disable it [using your 3 how-tos, thank you] and
run YOU often.

still, this is progress! thanks again.

dd