Re: [opensuse-factory] Help Apper to survive (12.2)

On 2012-08-21 04:16, Rajko wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 20:39:50 +0200 "Carlos E. R." <> wrote:

apper and friends as far a I know update from any repo in a mix. It doesn't
matter what
vendor they come from.

Just checked:

"zypper up" and update with Appper give the same package set.

To see about vendors and vendor change I used "zypper -vv up" and there was
few different
vendors, but no vendor change.

What kills systems is arbitrary vendor change, where system is updated with
files that
have higher version number, but in reality it is older software, or software
compiled with
different compilation options that are incompatible with the rest of the
system.

Correct, and this has happened.

In other words the most recent version of Apper:
------------------------------------------------ Version 0.7.2 Using KDE
Development
Platform 4.9.00 "release 559"
------------------------------------------------ doesn't
allow vendor change, and it will not kill user system.

Well, that is good. What about the applet used by gnome?

For software under development (v. 0.7.2), we must talk about versions,
otherwise we don't
speak about the same set of features and bugs, and the whole discussion is
moot. This
specially valid in open source where software is released as soon as possible
to be tested
by users.

I no longer test this part of the software, I stopped trusting it long ago.

Also, when we help new users we must have current information about software,
otherwise we
don't help, just the opposite.

Right, which is one of the reasons I asked for volunteers to do so ;-)

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.