Re: [opensuse-factory] Help Apper to survive (12.2)
  • From: Rajko <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 21:16:53 -0500
On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 20:39:50 +0200

apper and friends as far a I know update from any repo in a mix. It
doesn't matter what vendor they come from.

Just checked:

"zypper up" and update with Appper give the same package set.

To see about vendors and vendor change I used "zypper -vv up" and there
was few different vendors, but no vendor change.

What kills systems is arbitrary vendor change, where system is updated
with files that have higher version number, but in reality it is older
software, or software compiled with different compilation options that
are incompatible with the rest of the system.

In other words the most recent version of Apper:
Version 0.7.2
Using KDE Development Platform 4.9.00 "release 559"
doesn't allow vendor change, and it will not kill user system.

For software under development (v. 0.7.2), we must talk about versions,
otherwise we don't speak about the same set of features and bugs, and
the whole discussion is moot. This specially valid in open source where
software is released as soon as possible to be tested by users. Of
course, when such piece of code is meant to run as a service that is
not trivial to stop like some application, it must be supplied with
obvious way to stop until bugs are fixed and it works fine with the
rest of the system.

Also, when we help new users we must have current information about
software, otherwise we don't help, just the opposite.

--
Regards, Rajko