Re: Fwd: Re: [opensuse-factory] Help Apper to survive (12.2)

On 2012-08-20 19:55, Sven Burmeister wrote:
On 2012-08-20 17:59, Sven Burmeister wrote:
Am Montag, 20. August 2012, 17:24:56 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
The result of this combination is a broken system.

That only confirms that you can break your system with zypper up or YaST as
well and
there is nothing special to apper or packagekit.

Yes, there is: they respect vendor.

Didn't you read the previous mails? the zypp-backend to pk and hence apper
does as well.
But zypper and YaST do allow you to change it, apper doesn't. So which one
prevents vendor
change better?

apper and friends as far a I know update from any repo in a mix. It doesn't
matter what
vendor they come from.

That argument misses the point. Simply because a) most of the times there
is no admin
and not more than one user per system, i.e. typical home user.

In a typical home the computer may be used by more than one person.

_May_ (decreases the relevance) and _may_ use it at the same time (decreases
it even
further) and knows the root password but should not be allowed to install
updates… How
close to zero relevance are we with the permissions issue?

It doesn't have to be used by all at the same time. A very significative number
of homes. Or
houses where the parents set up the computers and the kids use them. Mr Linus
case, for
example, with her daughter.

b) if there is an admin he already has the means to disable/configure via
policykit
etc. per user.

Don't make me laugh. Where is the easy GUI for adjusting policykit?

In KDE's systemsettings for example, all you need is a mouse and the ability
to read.

I do not use KDE.

And what kind of admin needs a GUI anyway or is not competent enough to flip
some switches
but calls himself admin nonetheless? Your argumentation is not consistent.

A house admin, for example. And admin is not only a profession, it is a role as
well.

And many admins that lack the time to study yet another thing unless absolutely
necessary.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.