Re: [opensuse-factory] Help Apper to survive (12.2)
  • From: Guido Berhoerster <gber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 18:38:31 +0200
* Brian K. White <brian@xxxxxxxxx> [2012-08-20 17:56]:
Let me see. I'm using 12.1 xfce now, which is similar to gnome and
in fact shares libraries
and things. In the preferences panel I see nothing to configure
the likes of apper.

Assuming that XFCE uses really the same stuff as gnome (and shares
this as well), you would launch gpk-prefs to configure it (gpk being
gnome package kit). Not sure where XFCE lists it..

In order to disable, see
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.suse.opensuse.devel/45062
For the rest see "man pk-update-icon" and modify the autostart
desktop file accordingly.

How in 9 hells is the regular user expected to find THAT?

The person who can find that stuff is also the person who didn't
need you to tell them since they googled up something similar
themselves already. The regular user is not on this list and didn't
see this post and probably won't even find it by googling. The
regular user is simply left looking at a system that isn't working.
So no matter which way you come at it, this is not a useful answer
to the problem.

He's telling you what the system presents to the user, so that you
can see how incomplete it is. He's not saying he literally can't
figure out how to fix his own single system.

He's telling you that it's not reasonable to answer the question of
the misbehaving system with "just surgically disable that
misbehaving part" when the system does not present the user with an
obvious way to do that.

The regular user does not even know there are 5 different parts to
the overall failing system, let alone which one of those parts is
the one that's at fault, let alone how to disable that one without
uninstalling, let alone what harm may or may not come from disabling
or uninstalling or even merely changing any settings of any of those
parts, even IF any such settings were even presented to them in the
first place.

I just pointed out that it is fairly straightforward to disable
update notifications, not that a user unfamiliar with the package
management infrastructure would easily find out why YaST or
zypper are blocked, that I agree is valid criticism.

It also isn't helpful that there are three different, supported
tools for package management which all behave differently with
regard to resolving dependencies, calling SUSEConfig etc. and
having three layers of package management (rpm, libzypp, PK)
seems to make it harder to maintain than it'd need to be.
--
Guido Berhoerster