Re: [opensuse-factory] Help Apper to survive (12.2)
  • From: Guido Berhoerster <gber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 14:37:36 +0200
* Dominique Leuenberger a.k.a DimStar <DimStar@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [2012-08-20 14:23]:

Quoting "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On 2012-08-20 09:09, Dominique Leuenberger a.k.a DimStar wrote:

Well, not arguing about the fact of it breaking systems, but the
'Please offer me all
package updates, not only patches' was IIRC a big request, as
users felt that they are
left out with updates from repos. (From memory.. can't really
just fnd references to it at
the moment).

Yes, I remember that.

New users should not get prompted to update all. Perhaps the
default should be different.

In gnome, the 'biggest' issue is probably the lack of a panel
icon to configure it, but
that should not really be an issue: like anything else,
PackageKit is being configured
from the control-center, where a link to gpk-prefs is located
(allowing to 'disable'
updates).

Let me see. I'm using 12.1 xfce now, which is similar to gnome and
in fact shares libraries
and things. In the preferences panel I see nothing to configure
the likes of apper.

Assuming that XFCE uses really the same stuff as gnome (and shares
this as well), you would launch gpk-prefs to configure it (gpk being
gnome package kit). Not sure where XFCE lists it..

In order to disable, see
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.suse.opensuse.devel/45062
For the rest see "man pk-update-icon" and modify the autostart
desktop file accordingly.
--
Guido Berhoerster