Re: [opensuse-factory] Help Apper to survive (12.2)

Quoting "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On 2012-08-20 09:09, Dominique Leuenberger a.k.a DimStar wrote:

Well, not arguing about the fact of it breaking systems, but the 'Please offer me all
package updates, not only patches' was IIRC a big request, as users felt that they are
left out with updates from repos. (From memory.. can't really just fnd references to it at
the moment).

Yes, I remember that.

New users should not get prompted to update all. Perhaps the default should be different.

In gnome, the 'biggest' issue is probably the lack of a panel icon to configure it, but
that should not really be an issue: like anything else, PackageKit is being configured
from the control-center, where a link to gpk-prefs is located (allowing to 'disable'
updates).

Let me see. I'm using 12.1 xfce now, which is similar to gnome and in fact shares libraries
and things. In the preferences panel I see nothing to configure the likes of apper.

Assuming that XFCE uses really the same stuff as gnome (and shares this as well), you would launch gpk-prefs to configure it (gpk being gnome package kit). Not sure where XFCE lists it..

Please let's stop confusing apper (which is a frontend) with other things.. it really does not help.

* Simplistic split of the various used names: *
PackageKit: http://packagekit.org/ (the backend)
gnome-packagekit: A frontend to PK, 'gnome'-ish
Apprt: A frontend to PK, KDE-ish (Qt). Former KPackageKit
http://dantti.wordpress.com/2011/08/01/apper-kpackagekit-reworked-part-i/

Let's talk about the right things when reporting issues, shall we try?