Re: [opensuse-factory] Help Apper to survive (12.2)

On 2012-08-20 09:09, Dominique Leuenberger a.k.a DimStar wrote:

Well, not arguing about the fact of it breaking systems, but the 'Please
offer me all
package updates, not only patches' was IIRC a big request, as users felt that
they are
left out with updates from repos. (From memory.. can't really just fnd
references to it at
the moment).

Yes, I remember that.

New users should not get prompted to update all. Perhaps the default should be
different.

In gnome, the 'biggest' issue is probably the lack of a panel icon to
configure it, but
that should not really be an issue: like anything else, PackageKit is being
configured
from the control-center, where a link to gpk-prefs is located (allowing to
'disable'
updates).

Let me see. I'm using 12.1 xfce now, which is similar to gnome and in fact
shares libraries
and things. In the preferences panel I see nothing to configure the likes of
apper.

In the main menu, there is an entry to configure apper, but that's surely the
KDE app, I
should not configure that one. In fact, if I start it I see a nice dialog that
I was not
aware of, but which is no use to me. There is another menu entry for
"install/remove
software, and it requires my admin password. In details it says that is going
to start "yast
- --install".

So, how would I configure the package kit front end?

We might as well argue that 'yast' should not interact with libzypp dirctly,
but
streamline the entire package management through packagekit (thus being a
different
frontend to PK). As backend, we can still use libzypp.

This would likely allow much easier integration.

And end with two broken applications. No thanks!

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.