Re: [opensuse-factory] New naming scheme for openjdk
On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 01:18:08PM +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

(ibm-7-jdk) I find that that does not emphasize the Java component
enough. Unlike OpenJDK/Icedtea, IBM is a company, not directly the
Java project. We should keep ibm-java for it. (And similarly
sun-java.)

Good point!

And ibm-7-jre and -jdk is ok, but what about ibm-7-src, or ibm-7-plugin.
We might have -jre-src and -jre-plugin probably, but it's clumsy ...

What an another idea - lets call it **an evolution** instead of
revolution

java-7-openjdk, java-7-ibm-devel (or -jdk^), java-7-oracle-plugin, ...

so the pattern is java-$MAJOR_VERSION-$VENDOR(-$SUBPACKAGE)

in this case, I won't be for -jre subpackage, but there might be a
-headless one, where a package without a suffix will stand for jre

for jamvm and cacao, we can do

java-7-cacao, java-7-jamvm, or java-7-icedtea-cacao and -jamvm?

^ in such case, where we do only small changes, it does not make a
sense to me rename -devel to -jdk

BTW: Thanks for discussing it with me, it really helps me to get the whole
point

Regards
Michal Vyskocil
< Previous Next >